IUSD COVID-19 Protocol When COVID is suspected at a school site
Immediate First Steps – Gather Facts – Determine Close Contact
- Isolate student/staff member and send home. Utilize designated isolation room as needed.
2. Minimize contact and utilize PPE.
- Inform the sick individual of CDC guidance and have them contact healthcare provider (HCP) to determine next steps.
4. Gather the facts for last 48 hours:
- Close contact (less than 6 feet for 15 minutes or longer)
- On campus locations
- Investigation questions
5. Follow self-isolation guidelines:
- 10 days since symptoms first appeared, and
- 24 hours fever free without meds,
- And other COVID-19 symptoms are improving
- CDC’s guidance to discontinue self-isolation
Whom to Notify
- Contact your direct supervisor.
- Immediately notify Orange County Health Care Agency at (800)564-8448 & select Option 2.
- Complete student COVID report in Aeries for data collection and tracking
- If individual is an employee, notify HR, who will contact the employee about leave.
- Employee will be on leave until cleared by HR via email to supervisor.
- HR will recommend contact with physician and COVID-19 test.
- Refer to the Employee Illness and Injury Prevention Program
- After guidance from OCHCA, inform those who have had close contact (within 6 feet for 15 minutes or longer) with the COVID-19 positive student or staff member to stay home for 14 days from last exposure and self-monitor for symptoms. Follow the guidance on this page in
the column titled “Individual has had close contact to a person who has tested positive.”
- After approval from respective Exec. Director of Elem. or Sec. and/or PIO, notify staff and families (using template to be provided by PIO) of the confirmed case of COVID-19 while maintaining student privacy in accordance with FERPA.
Close off areas used by COVID-19 positive individual (or COVID-19 symptomatic individual) and do not use these areas until after cleaning and disinfecting following CDC guidelines. Wait at least 24 hours before cleaning and disinfecting. If 24 hours is not feasible, wait as long as possible. Ensure safe and correct use and storage of cleaning and disinfectant products, including storing products securely away from children.